Math Problems to Solve: Common Errors Committed
Solving Math's problems
Mathematics is an important area of study. Every student, no matter what age group they belong to, have to undergo Math. And one of the problem areas most student face is answering word problems and converting English words into mathematical equations in order to find a solution. It is important to read and understand the problem carefully and look for keywords which will tell you what is being asked. Devise a plan on how you will solve the problem by drawing a diagram, assigning variables and identifying formulas that may help in your problem solving.
Common Errors in Problem Solving
Even if you understood the math problems to solve, you need to watch out on the following unnoticed errors which can affect the entire process.
- Copying the problem incorrectly.
- Order of Operations. This refers to PEMDAS or Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication/Division, Addition/Subtraction. Work on the parentheses and exponents first before performing any operations. Hence, it should be PE(MD)(AS).
- Losing track of the sign. Take note of the negative signs included in the problems.
- Wrong application of the distributive property law.
- Dividing by 1 or 0. Any number divided by 1 is equal to the number itself. A number multiplied by 0 is 0.
- Applying the operation on one side of the equations Both sides of the equation should be equal. Whatever is applied on the left side must be done on the right side in order to balance the equation.
- Putting the decimal point in the wrong place. 5 ÷ 0.4 is different from 5 ÷ 0.04
- Wrong formula used. Each topic requires different sets of formulas so make sure to apply the right one according to the given problem.
Practice makes perfect
At the end of the day, you will never learn unless you practice. In order to avoid these errors, familiarize yourself with the different mathematical operations, terms and rules by answering as many problems as you can and studying your lessons diligently.
Read all news
Rating: 4.3/5 (283 votes)